Drink This Now! Blog






              



Drink This Now! Blog number 1. What a fun blog, experiment and learning process. This week I again went to Trader Joe's for the two wines for this week’s assignments. I was there at 8:30 am and wow what a crazy lady I looked like. Even though I was the only one in the wine section at eight in the morning the employees were still super helpful. The blog required two wines that I have never tried, and I was very excited for this experience. I choose a to get a Shiraz for the red wine and a Viognier for the white. The blog requires multiple different glasses, so we choose a shot glass, an old milk jug looking thing, a stemless wine glass, a wide rim glass, a normal drinking glass, and a fishbowl (vase).

Wine: We started with a Purple Moon California 2017 Shiraz.  This wine was $5.99 at Trader Joe’s. The smell in every glass was very different, but the overall taste was dark cherry, berry, plum and it had a little spice to it. The white wine we choose is a Honey Moon California 2018 Viognier. Another amazing Trader Joe’s wine that was $4.99. Like the red wine in each glass the white wine smelt different in every container. In the smaller opening glasses, the smell was more potent, and in the bigger and more open container you could barely smell the wines especially the white wine.

Shot Glass Smelling: Red- very concentrated, fruity, and smelt very flavorful.
White- had almost no smell at all. A small hint of a sparkling smell with apple.  
Shot Glass Tasting: Red- the wine was full of flavor, and I think it is because the bulk of the wine was right at your noise and most of the taste comes from smell, so this made sense.
White- I could barely smell anything from the shot glass. The only thing I smelt was a little bit of a sour smell like apple.

Milk Jug Smelling: Red- the smell in this container was very strong. All of the smell was concentrated right to my nose. There were hints of dark fruits like plum and cherry.
White- like the red wine the white wine was also full of smells in this glass. I smelt apple, peach and another fruity smell, but I could not put my finger on it.
Milk Jug Tasting: Red- with lots of smells comes lots of flavors (Just like Professor Boyer taught us). In this glass the flavor was very prominent and delicious. The flavors included dark cherry, plum and hints of spices.  
White- the wine was full of flavor in this glass. I could really taste all of the fruits in this one. I tasted apple, peach and a clue of apricot.

Stemless Glass Smelling: Red- the smell was there, but not as much as it was in the milk jug. The smell was focused towards my nose so I could defiantly smell it. I smelt the same flavors as the other glasses, which included prominently cherry and plum.
White- this glass is made for wine (minus the classic stem) and it presented the smells very well. Again, I smelt similar smells just in different strengths. Compared to the milk jug the smells were less, but I still smelt the apple, peach, and apricot.
Stemless Glass Tasting: Red- since the smell was very strong here the taste was also very strong. Again, I tasted the same things as I smelt, but a bit stronger.
White- even though the smell was semi strong here the taste wasn’t as strong as I expected.

Wide Glass Smelling: Red- in this glass the smells weren’t very strong at all. Even though I smelt similar smells of dark berries, the smells were not super strong.
White- for this glass I smelt very little. According to science and Professor Boyer the smells were missing my noise with this glass and that’s why the taste wasn’t very strong either.
Wide Glass Tasting: Red- just like the smells the taste wasn’t very strong in this glass. I still had tastes of black cherry and plum.
White- again, like the red tasting the with the white wine in this glass was barely there. The only real taste I got was a sour taste.

Normal Glass Smelling: Red- this glass had a smaller mouth, but the smells were not super pungent. I smelt the same flavors, but in a smaller dose than the milk judge.
White- the white wine was a similar experience to the red wine with the smells. I smelt the flavors, but not as strong as I expected.
Normal Glass Tasting: Red- in sync with the smelling the taste wasn’t super powerful. The taste was still yummy, but the flavors weren’t as powerful as it could be.
White- the flavor was there, but not very strong. I tasted the apple a lot, but I did not taste the other flavors as much.

Fishbowl Smelling: Red- there was almost no smell at all. I smelt the hint of alcohol, but that was about it.
White- in this container it smelt like nothing. The container could have been empty, and I would not have been able to tell a difference.
Fishbowl Tasting: Red- the taste again matched the smell I could taste the flavors, but in the smallest way.

White- the wine in this glass tasted like water. The smells and flavors escaped the glass and went right over my head (literally).















Comments

Popular Posts